Milton High School Orchestra Auditions, 2020-2021
NOTE: The instructions on this webpage are a little clearer than the ones in the packet, so follow those below:
DUE BY 11:59 PM APRIL 1, 2020
Welcome to Milton Orchestra! We have three performing ensembles that meet as classes: Concert Orchestra (Intermediate- grade III-IV repertoire), Sinfonia (Advanced- grade IV-V repertoire), and Chamber Orchestra (Mastery- grade V-VI repertoire).
No audition is required for the Concert Orchestra. All students coming from middle school orchestra are placed there by default until auditions are complete. Additionally, any student who chooses not to audition will be placed in Concert Orchestra.
Sinfonia and Chamber Orchestras are audition-only ensembles. Students in those orchestras must re-audition each year. All students, including those coming from middle school, are encouraged to look at the audition materials and consider auditioning. Even if you are not placed in a higher level ensemble this year, it helps Mr. Cummings to hear as many rising 9th graders as possible (and auditioning this year cannot hurt your placement in the future).
Follow these steps:
- Look over the audition materials for your instrument and determine your audition type, Sinfonia or Chamber. Students who audition for Chamber will automatically be considered for Sinfonia if they are not placed in Chamber.
- Go to flipgrid.com (or download the app) and enter the flip code: miltonorchestra . Use dropdown menu to select 2020/2021 Auditions. Click the giant plus sign to record your video or upload a video already made on your device (I recommend this so that you have a backup in case Flipgrid malfunctions). Flipgrid assignments are not visible to anyone but Mr. Cummings. Scales/excerpts should be unedited. You may trim the beginning/end of the video.
- You’ll receive an email confirmation from Flipgrid that you submitted it- keep that for proof that you submitted in case I don’t get it for some reason.
- OR upload your audition to Youtube as a public or unlisted video.
- Fill out this Google Form: https://forms.gle/kF65t3483Ry4PQ5F9
Please read the following carefully- if the camera angle does not show your full technique, your audition will be invalid.
Violin & Viola players should be
at an angle to the camera (NOT camera
looking straight down the scroll) and
the entire left hand/arm and
entire right hand and bow stroke
should be visible. The music
stand should be out in front of
you and away from the shot.
If you are using a phone, a
horizontal (landscape) mode video
may be best.
Cello and Double Bass players should
be straight on to the camera, and the
entire left hand/arm and entire right
hand and bow stroke should be visible.
This may require that you move the
music stand to your left.
If you are using a phone, a vertical
(portrait) mode video may be best.
Andrew Cummings, Orchestra Director
Future Milton Orchestra students/parents are encouraged to contact Mr. Cummings with any questions (email@example.com).
Additionally, parents and students sign up to receive announcements (including when audition materials are released) through our Future Milton Orchestra Members Remind group here:
OR Text @newmhsorch to the number 81010
Finally, sign up to receive updates from the Milton Orchestra Boosters here (also located on our home page):